[CPWG] ICANN position on the Facebook outage

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Oct 10 07:41:47 UTC 2021

Dear Bill,

I think we've established that how Facebook is running its networks is
not ICANN's problem, but ICANN should make this clear in some form of
blog or public posting so as to decline responsibility of the DNS
infrastructure in this incident. You'll be surprised how many ignorant
decision makers might be swayed by arguments that such incidents prove
that Governments should be running the "critical resources".
ICANN's business is limited to making sure that TLDs are run in a
reliable way and there are requirements in ICANN's contracts with gTLD
operators. But even when it comes to ccTLDS, ICANN's ability to mandate
anything is severely limited, if at all impossible. One cannot repeat
this enough.
Kindest regards,

Olivier