[CPWG] Are Blockchain Domains within the Mission of ICANN - WAS RE: Questions to the board about distributed DNS

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Nov 18 12:09:14 UTC 2022

Hi Chokri,

(First of all, of the five speakers I have zero trust or respect (anymore)
for the PoV of either Vint Cerf or Andrew Sullivan. Both were actively
promoting a commercial  form of fragmentation -- trying  to destroy the
.ORG domain by selling it to venture capital -- using the most
UNaccountable, UNtransparent methods possible. They have superb experience,
but IMO they have demonstrated that their analyses and perspectives are for
sale. So as much as I appreciate their historical contributions, I discount
their input here as they have previously advocated complete disregard for
the public interest.)

Of the speakers, I'm with Eli and Bill. Who are we kidding? There already
is Internet fragmentation, in the form of various site-blocking and
censoring mechanisms, to varying degree, around the world. If the will
exists, protocols can provide bridges between alternate federated
Internets; that could enable future innovations that might provide an
alternative to the corporate-driven content cesspool that this Internet has
now become. Andrew's assertion that "the alternative to the (current)
Internet is no Internet at all" is utter BS that demonstrates both
self-service and lack of imagination.

(One real-world example of how what was once a single point of Internet
failure can be fixed through a federation is the current transition by many
from Twitter to Mastodon.)

In the envisioned world of multiple federated Internets, ICANN oversees
just a tiny part -- one function of one Internet implementation -- and
that's fine with me. I maintain that what ICANN calls
"multistakeholdferism" is just a smokescreen over industry capture, and I
welcome Internet alternatives offering governance models that have end
users and the public interest as core to policy-making rather than just
advisory committees on the periphery.

- Evan