[CPWG] Are Blockchain Domains within the Mission of ICANN - WAS RE: Questions to the board about distributed DNS

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Nov 24 18:24:14 UTC 2022

Hi Chokri,

What is important to note is that the view of internet fragmentation  has
> evolved and now a certain level of fragmentation is tolerable  ( at
> different layers : Technical , Governance , Trade ), and as you have
> mentioned now we are looking for bridges. Hope that is not only a business
> trend!

I don't think we have a choice over whether or not to tolerate it.
Fragmentation already exists, in the form of arbitrary website blockages in
various countries. The most obvious is the Great Firewall of China, but
that country is far from alone in blocking sites. The reasons can be
political, economic, cultural or ethical, and even western countries engage
in it (for instance, piracy or Nazi sites). The alternative to tolerance is
reciprocity or other punitive measures, which will only make the
fragmentation worse.

The fragmentation can even be technical and benign rather than active. The
whole reason for ICANN's "universal acceptance" marketing campaign is to
convince the world to implement ICANN's initiatives in new domains and
non-Latin character-set support. Surely these campaigns wouldn't be needed
if implementation was widespread.

- Evan