[CWG-Stewardship] My concerns with the draft proposal and an alternative option

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:39:44 UTC 2014

I think most of Alan's concerns about integratability with other proposals,
acceptability by USG, nature of PRT etc have been addressed by multiple
people.

What remains un-answered are Alan's concerns about (i) Contract Co becoming
a target for litigation; (ii) source of funding of Contract Co; (iii)
jurisdiction of Contract Co; and (iv) accountability of Contract Co.

I agree that these are substantial concerns.

The Contract Co can be the subject of litigation for multiple reasons
including wrongful termination of a IANA contract; or any cause of action
related to a failed bid for a IANA contract. It can also be reasonable to
assume that Contract Co will be made a party to all cases that are against
ICANN in the future. For example, a case similar to the recent 'Iran/Iraq
ccTLD as attachable property' will definitely make Contract Co a respondent
along with ICANN.

Therefore, Contract Co will need a substantial litigation war chest. There
will also be substantial costs involved in contract drafting; negotiation;
preparation of RFPs etc. This needs to be addressed. Greg suggested the
possibility of a litigation indemnification mechanism. A mechanism to deal
with unforeseen non-litigation expenses should also be explored.

@Allan & Olivier: What accountability mechanisms do you suggest should be
built into the Contract Co by-laws?