[CWG-Stewardship] Principles

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Mon Dec 8 16:33:46 UTC 2014

Greg,

I agree with your second comment, [GS4]: “In a sense, the same thing could be said for each Principle, since we begin by stating that the proposal(s) can be tested against the principles and criteria before being sent to the ICG.”  But I identified several principles that I think require a more extensive effort.

Comment [GS23] says: “I don’t think this is technically true.  There is nothing in the IANA contract that says this.  Maybe this is being confused with the “separation from policy” concept.  To be fair, the structure of the contract (i.e., with limited duration) gives the NTIA the opportunity to separate the IANA functions from the current operator, but it is not a requirement of the contract.”  I think you are correct here but what I was suggesting is that we evaluate whether separability of the IANA functions from ICANN would be possible under the ICANN-only scenario.

Regarding your last comment, [GS27], do I understand you to say that the CSC should be multistakeholder?  If so, why do you think that?  And what would that mean?

Chuck