[Gac-gnso-cg] MP3 recording GAC / GNSO Consultation Group teleconference Tuesday 28 January 2014 1400 UTC

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Tue Jan 28 16:01:34 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording of the GAC / GNSO Consultation Group teleconference held on Tuesday  28  January 2014 at 1400 UTC at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-gac-20140128-en.mp3
 On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jan
 Please also note that the next call is scheduled for Tuesday, 11 February at 14:00 UTC.

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Government Advisory Committee
Manal Ismail - co-chair - Egypt
Ana Neves -  Portugal
Suzanne Radel  - USA
Mark Carvell - UK
Gema Maria Campillos - Spain
GNSO Council
Jonathan Robinson - co-chair - Registries Stakeholder Group
Mikey O'Connor -Internet Service Providers & Connectivity Providers Constituency
Amr Elsadr - Non Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG)

Apology:

ICANN Staff:
Marika Konings
Olof Nordling
Julia Charvolen
Glen de Saint Géry

Public archives of the mailing list can be found at:
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gac-gnso-cg/

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Glen

Adobe Chat transcript:
  Marika Konings:Welcome to the GAC-GNSO Consultation Group on Early Engagement Meeting of 28 January 2014

  Manal:just joined .. trying to say hi .. can u hear me?

  Manal:ok will try again ..

  Jonathan Robinson:I always struggle to get mic through Adobe.  It works with other applications.

  Jonathan Robinson:On telephone audio now.

  Marika Konings:An example of such a notification by the Board can be found here: http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/crocker-to-dryden-12nov13-en

  Amr Elsadr:Hey Marika..., are letters like these sent with every PDP?

  Marika Konings:@Amr - yes, although I do have to admit that we have standardized this for the most recent PDPs (IRTP Part C, UDRP Lock and Thick Whois)

  Marika Konings:Before that, I may have happened in other ways (emails, conversations, etc.)

  Marika Konings:I = it

  Amr Elsadr:Thnx. That's both interesting and helpful. (at least for me) :)

  Mike O'Connor:how about this for language  "Only then does the Board request GAC advice, a process that appears to need review and improvement"

  Manal:A timing difficulty arises because the Board seeks GAC advice only when the GNSO PDP reaches the Board at a very late stage of the GNSO policy-deliberation process.

  suzanne Radell:I would agree with Manal and Jonathan's comments

  Mike O'Connor:Only then does the Board request GAC advice, an example of a process that appears to need review and improvement by this group.

  suzanne Radell:Thanks to Amr for emphasizing the "early" aspects of GAC-GNSO engagement

  Amr Elsadr:@Mikey: +1

  Mike O'Connor:right Mark, there are actually a bunch of formal notifications wired into earlier parts of the process as well

  Amr Elsadr:@Mark: Absolutely agree. Attention and participation.

  Mike O'Connor:final version i've got "Only then does the Board request GAC advice, which is an example of a process that appears to need review and improvement."

  suzanne Radell:In the interests of full disclosure, I find the written word more understandable than graphics alone; hence, my suggestion to Mikey that we somehow try to combine the two approaches.

  Mark Carvell:It works well to combine the two like this.

  Jonathan Robinson:Agreed.  To me the graphic illustrates the process.  The table the key questions and associated work at points in the process.

  Marika Konings:Sorry, I disconnected instead of muting :-(

  Marika Konings:unmuting

  Mark Carvell:Is there a GNSO sift or prioritisation process of this identify/frame question stage?

  Ana Neves:Agree with Jonathan.

  Marika Konings:Am back

  Olof Nordling:On Mikey's question: Yes, An AC-initiated issue report calls for a Council vote to prompt a PDP

  suzanne Radell:Apologies to all, but I too need to drop off the call to prepare for a subsequent conference call.

  Manal:I have 2 questions here .. One has to do with the structure of the document and the other is regarding the approach for commenting .. On the structure,  does the diagram and the table both include the same steps .. because what I understood from last call was that the diagram describes the status quo whereas the table includes proposal for opportunities for early consultation with the GAC as suggested by Suzanne .. On the approach, Should we discuss the table then modify the diagram accordingly

  Amr Elsadr:A quick response to one of Gema's points: As Mikey pointed out, there are several points in the PDP where input expected. The issue of public policy not being taken into account when policy is being developed could be addressed in drafting PDP WG charters. This was the case (for example) in the "thick" whois PDP WG, where the WG charter required the WG to consider cross-jurisdictional issues dealing with data protection and privacy. Ultimately, the WG lacked the capacity to address the issue properly, which is one example in which GAC early engagement might be helpful.

  Amr Elsadr:OK. Not so quick. :)

  Mike O'Connor:great idea

  Manal:I believe in Singapore we need to report where we stand on everything and stress some points where we seek further input ..

  Ana Neves:right!

  Manal:+1 Mark

  Gema Campillos:In my view, identifying public policy issues should be done by the GAC as a whole, not by a single GAC member o group of members. We only have to craft a methodology to do it quickly at the GAC. For instance, when responding to letters sent out by the GNSO to seek input from constituencies into their work.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org<mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
http://gnso.icann.org