[Gnso-epdp-team] Fwd: Re: REVISED: Question for legal advisors

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 19 16:57:56 UTC 2019

I am three weeks overdue to apologize for labeling this question as "stupid".  Perhaps a better word would have been "basic".  However, I am sorry if anyone, particularly Alan Greenberg and ALAC members generally have taken offense to the characterization of the question (not Alan) as stupid.

Meanwhile, members may recall that I argued as hard as I could, along with Ayden, for some serious training in data protection law for team members, so that folks would become acclimatized to the concepts and basic precepts.  I also have argued for having a data protection lawyer present in the room who could raise his/her flag when we head off on a dead end because we are arguing something that simply will not hold water in an argument with a DPA.  Sadly, we do not have such a person in the room most of the time, no offence intended to the ICANN legal team who is present.

Apologies for cross posting, but a manual for data protection officers has been published, funded by the EU and a number of Data Protection Commissioners.  I think it is excellent, contains a good history of relevant law and guidance for how data protection officers  and the new role in the GDPR ought to be managed.  It is written by two folks who have been at this since the 90s (colleagues so perhaps I am biased) Douwe Korff (emeritus London Metropolitan University) and Marie Georges (ex-CNIL, also had been seconded by the CNIL to the European Commission during the struggle to get the original Directive 95/46 Directive passed).  In case anyone thinks the concept of the DPO within an  organization is new, it is not, during the 90s the German data protection laws provided for this in companies of a certain size, and when Douwe wrote the annual compliance report for the Article 29 Working Party/the European Commission in 1998, he recommended that this concept be implemented more broadly. Eventually, this happened, as it now forms part of the Regulation.  Available here http://www.fondazionebasso.it/2015/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/T4DATA-MANUAL-2019.pdf

Stephanie