[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Recording, Attendance & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 4 ­ IDNs/Technical & Operations call

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Jan 19 16:37:57 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email and the AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations held on Thursday, 19 January 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/wLPDAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 19 January 2017

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations onThursday, 19 January 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_wLPDAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=iGt6RqY5_BnkQ3kyCICg3SIy3p6PtF9rUbFNHZt1bNc&s=j-r-o0X14-F4zrnABqfuZ0_QVZ189dQGaoxQlSXjrqU&e=

  Dietmar Lenden - Valideus Ltd:Thanks Terri

  Terri Agnew:@Jeff audio quality is good at this time

  Terri Agnew:30 January             New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group   15:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:All hands have been cleared

  Jeff Neuman:Not sure how to phrase this, but I would love to hear about experiences from those that have launched IDN TLDs

  Jeff Neuman:What challenges they have had

  Jeff Neuman:what can be done for improvement

  Alan Greenberg:I am not seeing anything in the centre pod.

  Alan Greenberg:oops - now back!

  Martin Sutton:need to amend the financial question to quote financial

  Martin Sutton:its done

  Martin Sutton:thx

  Jeff Neuman:For technical evaluation:  Should the number of TLDs applied for, plus ones they currently run, be taken into consideration in the evaluation.  If so, how

  Trang Nguyen:@Jeff, you are correct. Applications were evaluated on a standalone basis in the 2012 round.

  Jeff Neuman:Question for ICANN/Evaluators:Did the evaluators/panelists submit performance improvement reports or other comments on what improvements could be made for subsequent procedures?

  Jeff Neuman:Was there any post mordem process?

  Jeff Neuman:If so, can we see those?

  Trang Nguyen:We had debriefs with the evaluation panels and they provided comments and suggestions, which we took into account when drafting the PIRR.

  Jeff Neuman:PIRR?

  Trang Nguyen:Program Implementation Review Report

  Jeff Neuman:Is it possible to see the original comments?

  Trang Nguyen:They were provided to ICANN as confidential documents, not for external consumption.

  Jeff Neuman:Why confidential?

  Trang Nguyen:We could check with them to see if they would have any issues with releasing them.

  Jeff Neuman:I can understand redacted portions related to individual applications......but it would be great to see their comments.  It may help us to revise questions that were asked of applicants

  Trang Nguyen:Their comments/suggestions were largely consistent with ICANN's observations as reflected in the PIRR, but we could take an action to ask them whether we can share their reports.

  avri doria:Trang, that would be good to check if you could.  Thanks

  Phil Buckingham:which bullets points do you wish to discuss .

  Phil Buckingham:Q should there be a separate  financial template for each "type" of business model  .

  Jeff Neuman:@Trang.  That makes total sense.....We should document that formally and put it into the guidebook

  Martin Sutton:That would be helpful to have more detail Trang - can that be shared?

  Martin Sutton:Should there also be some differentiation between self-funded registries where they are the only registrant, i.e. impact on registrants is not relevant?

  Phil Buckingham:@ Trang , does ICANN have the points scored for each question by application  by type of business model  ( ie closed / open / IDNs )   . Then possibly we can start to identify the problem questions

  Martin Sutton:@Trang - good point, but that could be built in to a transition process where checks have to be completed before they switch over

  Phil Buckingham:@ trang- when an applicant  reaches a set number of DUMs  ? I thought it was 50K that would trigger a change from closed model to an open one ?

  Jeff Neuman:@Trang - good questions

  Jeff Neuman:@Avri - correct.  That is being implemented by some TLDs now

  Jeff Neuman:@Avri - Changes are right now through RSEP process and that is currently beyond the scope of this PDP

  Phil Buckingham:Exactly  Avri - does a change of application status mean new financial evaluation / due diligence

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I am not aware of any of our WT s looking at that either Avri so yes we need to catch them

  Jeff Neuman:Other than accounting for changes in the contracting process, I am not sure we should be delving into how future changes are done.  We can recommend a separate PDP for that, but if we go down that path now, we will never finish.

  Steve Chan:I think it has been discussed in the context of other topics (e.g., different TLD types), but there is not a dedicated topic related to the subject.

  Jeff Neuman:Plus, that has applicability to existing registries as well as for those for future ones

  Phil Buckingham:+1 Steve

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):re change of mode

  Phil Buckingham:Agree Jeff- cant backtrack .

  Martin Sutton:Agree with Jeff - recommendation for separate PDP to progress this, as it is a post-application change

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):mode=model yes Jeff agree

  Terri Agnew:next call: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations will take place on Thursday, 09 February 2017 at 20:00 UTC.

  Trang Nguyen:Sorry, i will try to provide answers to questions aked in the chat via the mail list.

  Dietmar Lenden - Valideus Ltd:thanks Ruben and the rest

  avri doria:thanks

  Trang Nguyen:Thanks, all!