[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS PDP WG Leadership

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Thu Jan 28 11:59:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 6:15 PM, Stephanie Perrin <stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

[SNIP]

> When I use the word independent, I mean that I have no client that is paying me to participate, nor an employer that has an interest in my participation.  I think it might be useful in this regard if persons who use that word explain what they mean by it, because it is not clear to me that we have a common understanding of our usage of the term.

Thanks for this Stephanie. I completely agree. I had started to become a bit concerned with how “independent” is being used, and may be perceived in the context of this dialogue to mean non-GNSO. Being a member of a GNSO stakeholder group or constituency and being independent are not mutually exclusive. Likewise, not being affiliated with the GNSO does not, in itself, mean a WG member is independent.

Marika’s explanation earlier on this thread seems the most helpful to me. WG members are either affiliated with one or more ICANN SO/AC, or are “individual” members of this PDP WG (as opposed to “independent”). Of course, Members of SOs/ACs are free to join GNSO working groups in their “individual” capacities as well.

Thanks again.

Amr