[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

Rod Rasmussen rod.rasmussen at internetidentity.com
Mon Mar 21 06:47:19 UTC 2016

> On Mar 20, 2016, at 8:37 PM, Rob Golding <rob.golding at astutium.com> wrote:
>
>> • Every name server has someone responsible for its operation.  The RDS
>> ought to contain contact information for a given domain or the name
>> server or (preferably) both, so that in the event of serious
>> malfunction such that interoperation is impossible there is some
>> mechanism for out-of-band contact in order to rectify the problem.
>
> Why ? If a 'service provider' has an issue with their nameservers why is that of any concern to anyone else
> - their customers' will have appropriate contact information already, why should it in RDS ?

Because the service provider may not be the first to notice or be the most adversely affected.  Remember that many nameservers handle thousands of domain, and experience shows that sometimes even those service providers don’t have complete knowledge of the domains actually using them.  And the users of those nameservers don’t always know that some other 3rd party has configured their domains to use a particular set of nameservers.  Yes, that’s weird, but operationally true.

- Rod