[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

Rod Rasmussen rod.rasmussen at internetidentity.com
Mon Mar 21 06:52:43 UTC 2016

> On Mar 20, 2016, at 8:37 PM, Rob Golding <rob.golding at astutium.com> wrote:
>
>> • In shared registration systems, it is usually (always?) the case
>> that registrations are not single-occasion, but instead are
>> registration at a point in time for some term.  It is therefore
>> necessary, for troubleshooting interoperation, to know when a name's
>> registration is expiring and also when it was last updated (to
>> troubleshoot recent problems that might be related to changes).
>
> Whilst potentially convenient, it certainly isn't "necessary" - plenty of tlds operate just fine without making expiry information "public", and others don't expire at all.
> eurid/.eu for example only provides the generic following:
> Domain: astutium.eu
> Registrant:        NOT DISCLOSED!
> Onsite(s):        NOT DISCLOSED!
> Registrar:        Name: Astutium Ltd         Website: www.astutium.com
> Name servers:        ns2.astutium.com        ns1.astutium.com
>
> Of course the registry and registrar (and thus the registrant) need to know expiry dates as part of their 'business'.

Actually publicly publishing expiration dates is necessary for a myriad of use cases, and those registries are failing in their operational capacity by refusing to publish this vital information.  These registries don’t “operate just fine” depending upon your perspective.

Yep, an opinion (just like yours) but one formed after handling domain name portfolios for major worldwide companies for many years in a past life.