[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Mon Mar 21 07:48:16 UTC 2016

> Actually publicly publishing expiration dates is necessary

Convenient/useful/helpful - yes - it's certainly data I'd like to see
(but I'm not one of the several billion 'normal' internet users, most of
whom dont know what a domain is or how it works)

Necessary - clearly not

Outside of the gTLD world it's a growing trend amongst ccTLDs not to
publish much data about domains at all (beyond whether they're
registered).

> These registries don’t “operate just fine” depending upon your
> perspective.

They allow the registration/renewal/transfer/update of domain-names,
which is the "job" of a registry.

Whether they "facilitate specific use-cases" is a different question.

> Yep, an opinion (just like yours) but one formed after handling domain
> name portfolios for major worldwide companies for many years in a past
> life.

Rob
Rob Golding   rob.golding at astutium.com
Astutium Ltd, Number One Poultry, London. EC2R 8JR

* domains * hosting * vps * servers * cloud * backups *