[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

Rod Rasmussen rod.rasmussen at internetidentity.com
Mon Mar 21 07:05:38 UTC 2016

> On Mar 20, 2016, at 8:37 PM, Rob Golding <rob.golding at astutium.com> wrote:
>
>> Some registrations
>> are the source of abuse against other networks,
>
> Never. Domains cant "abuse other networks".
> A 'service' can abuse, which may (or may not) somehow be related to a domain registration, but the domain itself is not capable of doing any abuse at all

This is semantic hocus-pocus.  Sorry to be so direct, but I find this particular point non-helpful after spending 15+ years of fighting criminals who register tens, hundreds, or even thousands of domains daily in order to abuse innocent people.

We publish lists of thousands of domains every day whose sole “purpose” is to abuse the HELL out of everyone on the Internet that people then take and block on their networks and in many cases pass along to the registrars who then suspend them due to the behavior associated with them.  If you want to be technically pure, yes, some person is using services tied to a domain name they registered to do things like data exfiltration, DDoS, phishing, malware control, etc. but the domains themselves are purely malicious based on the intent of the registrant.