[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Some reg'n data I think necessary (was Re: GNSO Next-Gen RDS PDP Working Group teleconference)

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Mon Mar 21 07:35:28 UTC 2016

>>> Some registrations
>>> are the source of abuse against other networks,
>>
>> Never. Domains cant "abuse other networks".
>> A 'service' can abuse, which may (or may not) somehow be related to a
>> domain registration, but the domain itself is not capable of doing any
>> abuse at all
>
> This is semantic hocus-pocus.

It's a very important distinction, that I felt needed to be made.

> We publish lists of thousands of domains every day whose sole
> “purpose” is to abuse

Whose purpose is to be somehow _involved_ with abuse, I'll accept

> If you want to be technically pure,

I think we should be if we're defining the RDS/WHOIS purpose

If our 1st question is what data is collected (and why) and our 2nd
question is what subset of that should be available (and to whom/under
what circustances) being 'accurate' needs to be of extreme importance.

> yes, some
> person is using services tied to a domain name they registered to do
> things like data exfiltration, DDoS, phishing, malware control, etc.
> but the domains themselves are purely malicious based on the intent of
> the registrant.

Not denying that (or that it is a problem which requires addressing).

Rob
Rob Golding   rob.golding at astutium.com
Astutium Ltd, Number One Poultry, London. EC2R 8JR

* domains * hosting * vps * servers * cloud * backups *