[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Thu Jun 1 16:44:27 UTC 2017

I disagree with your premise that I need to prove something is strictly
necessary in the context of this conversation.  It is not strictly
necessary for the operation of the internet that there is anti-spam at
all.  It is not strictly necessary that security researchers stop
criminals for the operation of the internet.  The internet will still
work.  What we ARE talking about here is that the balance of harms is
clearly on the side of us that taking away our tools and visibility
makes the situation worse, not better.

Everyone likes talking about anti-abuse and spam here, but can someone
find me one single anti-spam entity that agrees with you that we need to
restrict thin data?  I mean, just one, anywhere in the world.

On 6/1/2017 11:39 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:

> I am not saying that publishing the creation date is screwing over
> people, I merely pointed out that it is currently being used for that
> very purpose. Domain registrant are getting conned, abused and worse
> because that data point is being used (in connection with other data
> points) This data point allows this abuse to be much more targeted and
> therefore successful.
>
> I am sure there are other purposes that it is being used for as well,
> some honorable, some useful, some neutral to the overall state of the
> universe, but in the end I merely asked if it was stricly necessary
> for the purpose of the operation of the internet, without making any
> assumption on other yet to be defined purposes.
>
> Best,
>
> Volker
>

> Am 01.06.2017 um 18:34 schrieb John Bambenek:
>> Because you a priori invalidate all our data and use cases as
>> irrelevant. The operations of the internet are more complicated than
>> mere transferring a domain for registrar to operator.
>>
>> I gave you an example of using creation date as a factor in
>> filtering. You immediately labeled it as screwing over people. Do you
>> really expect me to keep jumping through your hoops? I mean I am just
>> a mere self-proclaimed security researcher.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jun 1, 2017, at 11:22, Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net
>> <mailto:vgreimann at key-systems.net>> wrote:
>>
>>> Note that I did not say "a need" in general, but specifically "a
>>> need for the purpose of the operationality of the internet". I have
>>> not seen any convincing use cases for that need for these three data
>>> points.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> VG

>>> --
>>> Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.
>>>
>>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>>>
>>> Volker A. Greimann
>>> - Rechtsabteilung -
>>>
>>> Key-Systems GmbH
>>> Im Oberen Werk 1
>>> 66386 St. Ingbert
>>> Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
>>> Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
>>> Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net
>>>
>>> Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
>>> www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com
>>>
>>> Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
>>> www.facebook.com/KeySystems
>>> www.twitter.com/key_systems
>>>
>>> Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
>>> Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
>>> Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534
>>>
>>> Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
>>> www.keydrive.lu
>>>
>>> Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

>>> Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Volker A. Greimann
>>> - legal department -
>>>
>>> Key-Systems GmbH