[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Tue Oct 3 19:44:11 UTC 2017

Perhaps, when considering whether or not there is added value in
collecting the information, we may wish to consult with the people
**whose jobs it is to deal with this problem**.

I feel compelled, again, to comment on the absurdity of this. There are
people complaining about spam to domain registrants. The very people
whose ENTIRE professional life is spent addressing this problem are
UNANIMOUSLY telling you we need this resource. And yet we are told by
those who do NOT work in this field and do NOT contribute to solving
this problem, that we don't need this information.

We have REPEATEDLY and with specificity over the course of 18 months
have shown use case after use case covering a wide range of threats of
how we use this data TODAY to protect consumers. So perhaps, maybe just
SOME deference to us on what we need to do our jobs might be warranted.

As far as I can tell, only the anti-abuse people have even proposed a
compromise... whois privacy for free. Let the CONSUMER control what they
publish about themselves. This privacy absolutism will eventually reach
a breaking point that will carry with it great consequences for everyone
if fully realized.

On 10/3/2017 2:30 PM, pkngrds at klos.net wrote:
> On 10/3/2017 3:05 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>> There is no added value
>> in collecting personal information - after all, criminals are not going
>> to provide correct information anyway, and if a domain has been
>> compromised then the personal information of the original registrant
>> isn't going to help much, and its availability in the wild could cause
>> significant harm to the registrant.
>
> How can you say "if a domain has been compromised then the personal
> information of the original registrant
> isn't going to help much"?  Isn't the ability to contact the
> registrant* and let them know that their domain has been compromised
> reason enough to keep that information available?
>
> Patrick Klos
> Klos Technologies, Inc.
>
> (* Forgive me if I haven't followed every nuance of these
> discussions.  Is there a distinction between the "original registrant"
> and the "current registrant"?)

John Bambenek