[Gnso-subteam0b-policyimpl] MP3 Policy and Implementation Principles Sub Team - Thursday 06 February 2014

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Feb 6 22:34:21 UTC 2014

 Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working Principles Sub-Team call held on Thursday 6 February 2014 at 21:00 UTC:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140206-en.mp3

Attendees:
Cheryl Langdon-Orr - ALAC
Chuck Gomes- RySG
Alan Greenberg - At-Large
Avri Doria - NCSG
Tom Barrett - RrSG
 Greg Shatan - IPC
Michael Graham - IPC
Nic Steinbach- RrSG

Apologies:
 Mary Wong

ICANN staff:
Marika Konings
Nathalie Peregrine

Wiki page:https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 06 February 2014:

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome to the PI Principles Sub-Team meeting of 6 February 2014

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Alan Greenberg has joined the room

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Avri is not on the audio bridge

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:include it as a principal

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Michael graham has joined the AC roon

  Michael Graham:And calling in shortly.

  Michael Graham:In re: "Impact" analysis -- whether a process suggestion or a principle (and I would question whether it is a principle) could we say instead of "should be conducted" write "should be addressed in Policy Development and Implementation"?

  Michael Graham:P.S. I have audio but not mic

  Michael Graham:Is a) not the same as b) except as applied to implementation portion of equation?

  Avri Doria:i think it is really premature to accuse impact analysis of being dog whistle words.

  Greg Shatan:I hope that is true -- but I remember how "impact" was being used around Durban-time.  Happy to keep it from being freighted with implicit meanings....

  Greg Shatan:I actually agree with Alan.

  Michael Graham:I would agree with Alan.  While the first sentence in a is fine, the second is a description how that principle should be implemented -- and should be left for discussion by WG.

  Avri Doria:NOT a BUZZ WORD

  Alan Greenberg:breaking up

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:+++from me @avri

  Michael Graham:The PRINCIPLE is that the impact of Policy on stakeholders should be assessed.

  Marika 2:@Michael - I agree. How that is done should be for the WG to discuss (in my opinion)

  Alan Greenberg:@Michael, I agree

  Avri Doria:i cn liv with calling it an analysis of the impact it the term is so bothersone.  but it has to be more that a consideration.

  Marika 2:What if we change a to 'Assessing the impact on stakeholders is an essential part of the policy development process'

  Marika 2:and leave it at that for now?

  Michael Graham:@Marika I would agree.

  Greg Shatan:New ICANN title: "Default Chair"

  Avri Doria:I prefer "an analysis of the impact ...

  Michael Graham:But it's not Chuck's default.

  Avri Doria:why is it not a principle?

  Michael Graham:Because it is a policy putting into effect the policy.

  Michael Graham:To clarify:  I was referring to b) and c), not a)

  Avri Doria:i supported deconstructing the term.

  Alan Greenberg:Can't trust cunning lawyers!

  Michael Graham:@ Alan ;-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:what about the non cunning sub species :-)

  Michael Graham:I would keep "all" insofar as this is an aspirational principle.

  Alan Greenberg:I like all, but accept Avri's comments and can live without it.

  Michael Graham:Either is good.

  Avri Doria:i can live with it.  just think it doesn't add much.  i cant even aspire to all.

  Nic Steinbach:strongly okay with either

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:on hold

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:my concern is that "all" will be an excuse to study the  impact with no end

  Michael Graham:FYI -- IPC is now considering response to our Request for Input.

  Avri Doria:we can put the word fascilitate somewhere in the sentence.

  Avri Doria:of course spelled correctly: facilitate (?)

  Michael Graham:Have to drop off.  Will listen to recording of rest of discussion.

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:I read this as incorporating a requirement for checkpoints during the implementation where impact-related questions are asked.

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:by the way, the 'conference call center' appears to be on break.  I can't get through.

  Alan Greenberg:ok

  Alan Greenberg:litmus test

  Avri Doria:a non maskable interupt

  Alan Greenberg:Yup!

  Alan Greenberg:And I am old enoughto remember when they were called "traps". Which adds another connotation.

  Avri Doria:i tend to remember as nmi

  Nic Steinbach:i will have to setup away just for a second

  Nic Steinbach:step*

  Avri Doria:but i recognize trap

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:bingo!

  Marika 2:Tom, could you please type your proposed wording in the chat?

  Alan Greenberg:I gather that this is a 90 minute call... Really wish the announcement would make it clear.

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:there should be a mechanism to flag unanticipated outcomes that impact the community

  Avri Doria:2 sentences is ALWAYS better than one run on sentence.

  Avri Doria:alerted?

  Avri Doria:mechanismm to alert ...

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca: there should be a mechanism to flag and address unanticipated outcomes that impact the community

  Marika 2:Can you please mute your lines when not speaking

  Nathalie  Peregrine 2:The operator has muted Tom's line as it was causing disturbance

  Nathalie  Peregrine 2:*6 on the phone to unmute

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:ok.  i muted too

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:i think it was me typing

  Avri Doria:But the flagging still may need work.

  Marika 2:@Avri - correct. The PDP Manual currently doesn't prescribe how an IRT would flag (e.g. does that need to be a consensus decision, if one member sees an issue it goes to the council, etc.)

  Marika 2:and what if an SO/AC wants to flag?

  Marika 2:all questions for the WG to address ;-)

  Avri Doria:the whole doc will need continuity testing.

  Alan Greenberg:Very productive meeting!

  Alan Greenberg:Thanks all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good progress... thanks. bye

  Avri Doria:bye bye all