[gtld-tech] Specification 5 - Country names... again..

Gavin Brown gavin.brown at centralnic.com
Wed Nov 27 20:55:26 UTC 2013

Hi John,

> Some observations:
> 1. There are 12 items in S5.4.2.txt that end with a hyphen.  These names are not dns compatible.  It may have been an issue in processing.  I think the trailing hyphen can be removed.  (фиджи- for example)

Thanks, I've fixed these.

> 2. I've attached Verisign's spreadsheet for section 5.4.3 (UN Member States and translations).  There are 7 languages (including both traditional and simplified Chinese).  Spaces and hyphens are tricky.  The issue is that translation engines (here I mostly use Google's service) will often handle spaces intelligently.  For instance, "Central African Republic" translated to Russian becomes "Центрально-Африканская Республика".  That is, a hyphen is introduced for the first space. I presume this is a standard for the "Central" modifier.  You could choose to create a variant without any hyphens or spaces, or you could try all the permutations of hyphens and spaces.  Instead of heading down that rabbit hole, we elected to yield to the translation wherever possible.  But we'll respect the group decision and update our implementation accordingly.

Much appreciated. I've converted this to text and added it to the
repository.

> 3.  I think we can change S5.5-igos.txt to s5.6-igos.txt.  Intergovernmental orgs are under bullet 6.

Done.

G.

--
Gavin Brown
Chief Technology Officer

CentralNic Group plc is a company registered in England and Wales with
company number 8576358. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London,
EC2R 6AR.