[gtld-tech] RDAP referral to registrar ?

Gustavo Lozano gustavo.lozano at icann.org
Tue Aug 30 22:33:33 UTC 2016

Unfortunately, HTTP redirections are not an option in the case of the gTLD
space, because Registries are contractually required to provide an RDDS
response.

>From an operational perspective, I think that HTTP redirections are also
not an option in the case of the domain industry, because the prevalent
business model has two parties (i.e. Registries and Registrars) keeping
certain portions of the data elements. For example, the Registry is the
authoritative source of information for the domain statuses.

The mechanism defined in section 2.3 of the gTLD RDAP profile allows the
Registry to provide an RDAP response, and say something like "btw, this
other party may have more information".

Regards,

Gustavo