[gtld-tech] [CZDS] TLDs playing possum

John McCormac jmcc at hosterstats.com
Thu Mar 9 17:29:15 UTC 2023

On 09/03/2023 08:54, Joe Wein via gtld-tech wrote:
> John Levine wrote:
>>> desi                 2022-11-23T23:49:55Z  57 days, 2:11:00
>
> This is one is still evading all attempts for me.
>
> The saga so far:
>
> 2022-09-15 - applied for access after expiry
> 2022-10-20 - filed complaint #1 after being ignored for a month
> 2022-11-09 - ICANN acks complaint #1 after 3 weeks
> 2023-02-06 - filed complaint #2 after a few months
> 2023-03-01 - ICANN closes complaint #2 as a duplicate after 3 weeks
> 2023-03-09 - sent follow-up to ICANN to complaint #1
>
> The system is still broken.
>
> When you submit a complaint, you get back an email that a ticket has
> been created with some ticket number, but that email does not mention
> the TLD the complaint pertains to. So unless you manually record the
> connection, you won't know which ticket is for what TLD until you get
> the proper acknowledgement with a copy of the complaint several weeks
> later (I believe this is when ICANN forwards the complaint to the
> registry - why only after a couple of weeks?).
>
> Also ICANN, when you close a complaint as a duplicate because of an
> existing pending ticket for that TLD and account, can you list the
> ticket ID of that existing ticket in the email message?

The .DESI gTLD had 1,028 users in the August 2022 report on the CZDS
site. It wasn't in the September 2022 report and is not in the latest
ZFA-Passwords reports.

There are still some registries manually updating access and this is
causing coverage problems. The complaints system needs to be improved
and the lack of communication from ICANN doesn't help.

There are also problems with the monthly CSV ICANN registrar reports.
Some registries have temporary reporting failures. The .AFRICA hasn't
filed a valid registrar transactions report (net adds and renewal data
is missing) since the gTLD was launched. I recovered the ICANN registrar
report data from a combination of CSVs and PDFs back to July 2001 and
have it in a database updating monthly. Identifying registrars without
IANA-ID numbers was a very interesting bit of Internet archeology. At
times, I was wondering if it might have been easier to decrypt Minoan
Linear A.

Regards...jmcc
John McCormac  *  e-mail: jmcc at hosterstats.com
MC2            *  web: http://www.hosterstats.com/
22 Viewmount   *  Domain Registrations Statistics
Waterford      *  Domnomics - the business of domain names
Ireland        *  https://amzn.to/2OPtEIO
IE             *  Skype: hosterstats.com