[IOT] IOT - Interim Supplementary Rules

Bernard Turcotte turcotte.bernard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:53:45 UTC 2018

Dear members of the IRP IOT:

First, a word of thanks to those who participated in two productive calls
during the week of October 8th.

As mentioned by Sam, we have an opportunity to have the board accept and
approve ‘interim rules of procedure’ at ICANN 63 but we must move quickly
to do so. In my opinion, establishing interim rules is timely (considering
all the work we have done since October 2016) and appropriate.

Attached is the draft of the interim rules meant to capture what we
discussed on the phone in the recent calls. Please take a good look.

I would like to note one particular area – that of Joinder etc. (Rule 7).
You may recall that I, wearing my *participant *(not leader) hat, had
suggested certain text and with Malcom’s help we seemed to have achieved
compromise.

As Sam attempted to draft the compromise in this respect she encountered
difficulty in capturing appropriate language that she felt would be
consistent with bylaws. Sam reached out to me in my participant capacity
and we discussed over the ensuing days and so the language you will see
there is not exactly as discussed on the calls. The language is acceptable
to me in my participant capacity. I felt these discussions were appropriate
inasmuch as I had raised the issue as participant and knew I would forward
the resulting language to the list – a way to try to take advantage of
board action at next week’s meeting.

Could you please review these rules and if you have any concern please post
to the list by 23:59 UTC on October 21. If we are agreed I will forward for
board action.

And then, of course, we will turn to the very few remaining items for final
rules – they should be able to follow in pretty quick order.

Best regards to all,

David (sent by Bernard)