[IOT] Today's Call - Draft Rule 7

Kristina Rosette krosette at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 13:00:47 UTC 2023

All,

With apologies, I will miss today's call. I'll be in transit from North
Carolina after my son's college baseball season.

I was part of the team working on this proposed draft rule 7.  I support
it.

It appears that the circulated draft may have inadvertently omitted two
proposed changes to section 25 (amicus curiae). I had proposed the
following change to 25(i) to restrict its breadth given the existence of
25(ii)-(iv). It was my understanding that the small team supported this
change:

   - 25(i):  A person, group or entity that participated in an underlying
   proceeding (a process-specific expert panel per ICANN Bylaws, Article 4,
   Section 4.3(b)(iii)(A)(3))*, the outcome of which is material and
   relevant to the DISPUTE. * [proposed change in bold and underscore].

The team also discussed a proposed change to 25 that would clarify the
purpose of amicus curiae to provide guidance to the Panel, the community
and potential amicus curiae. It was my understanding that the majority of
the small team supported this change.

25.  Any person, group or entity that has a material interest relevant to
the DISPUTE but does not satisfy the standing requirements for a CLAIMANT
set forth in the Bylaws may participate as an amicus curiae before an IRP
PANEL, subject to the limitations below. *The purpose of participation as
an amicus curiae is to assist the IRP PANEL by offering information,
expertise or insight that has bearing on the issues in DISPUTE, which is
between ICANN and the CLAIMANT*. Without limitation to the persons, groups
or entities that may have such a material interest, the following persons,
groups, or entities shall be deemed to have a material interest relevant to
the DISPUTE and, upon request of person, group or entity seeking to so
participate, shall be permitted to participate as an amicus before the IRP
PANEL: [proposed change in bold and underline]

-*-

Kristina