[IOT] Today's Call - Draft Rule 7

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Tue Jul 25 15:09:26 UTC 2023

Thank you, Kristina.

I also participated in the small team, although not from its beginning.

While I frequently agree with Kristina, with respect I am not in full agreement here regarding the highlighted language in her email.

Specifically, I am part of the small team that believes the following sentence should not be added to paragraph 25:

The purpose of participation as an amicus curiae is to assist the IRP PANEL by offering information, expertise or insight that has bearing on the issues in DISPUTE, which is between ICANN and the CLAIMANT.

In my opinion, the sentence is unnecessary and could be unduly limiting. It is my understanding that amici at times brief on things like historical context, advocacy of new ideas, and the like – oftentimes, though certainly not always, in an academic context in an effort not so much to assist as to inform the panel or even the record. Adding this purpose and using these words, even while general, can be argued as a limitation beyond materiality and relevance. Paragraph 25 without this sentence has the tests of materiality and relevance – other than those it seems to me we should trust the panel to act appropriately in dealing with requests to become an amicus.

Best regards,

Policy Director

Verisign, Inc.