[NCAP-Discuss] REMINDER: NCAP Discussion Group | 24 February at 19:00 UTC

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Thu Feb 25 19:17:35 UTC 2021

The point I made at the end of the call is that the SSAC is on record taking the following position:

In disagreeing with SubPro on whether Plurals and singulars should not be allowed on a go forward basis based on the concept of user confusion, the SSAC states:
SAC 114:

  1.  “The SSAC stated in SAC103, and reaffirms here, that trying to determine confusability based on the meaning of words rather than the visual similarity of strings is fundamentally misguided. Domain names are not semantically words in any language, notwithstanding the obvious expectation that they will be recognized as such and that it drives applicants’ interest in specific new gTLD strings.” and
  2.  “As pointed out in SAC103, which quoted RFC5894 a string has no context on its own prior to delegation and, while an applicant may have a particular context in mind, there is no guarantee that context will prevail indefinitely in practice. It is also questionable whether a majority of registrants or internet users will apply that same context, which may cause confusion and usability issues. I

SAC 103 $ RFC 5894

  *   “DNS labels and fully-qualified domain names provide mnemonics that assist in identifying and referring to resources on the Internet. … But domain "names" are not, in general, words in any language. The recommendations of the IETF policy on character sets and languages (BCP 18 [RFC2277]) are applicable to situations in which language identification is used to provide language-specific contexts. The DNS is, by contrast, global and international and ultimately has nothing to do with languages. Adding languages (or similar context) to IDNs generally, or to DNS matching in particular, would imply context-dependent matching in DNS, which would be a very significant change to the DNS protocol itself. It would also imply that users would need to identify the language associated with a particular label in order to look that label up. That knowledge is generally not available because many labels are not words in any language and some may be words in more than one.”

Let me first state that I personally disagree with the SSAC and believe that it is naïve and overlooks reality when the SSAC states that domain names are not to be looked at as having meaning.  So I think SAC 103 and SAC 114 on this point is just plain wrong.

However, I see it as hypocritical for the SSAC to be taking the above positions when discussing IDNs, User confusion, string similarity, etc., but now all of sudden take a polar opposite position when it comes to looking at the potential harm of name collisions (pre-delegation) by stating that we should be looking at domain names prior to delegation as words.

There needs to be consistency.  Either we look at domain names as words that have meaning or we don’t.  I personally am on the side of looking at domain names as having meaning when it comes to looking at potential harm, but that also means looking at them for purposes of consumer confusion, IDNs, etc.

I hope that makes more sense.

[cid:image002.png at 01D70B80.F6899490]
Jeffrey J. Neuman
Founder & CEO