[NCAP-Discuss] Defining CI/CE

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Wed Nov 9 21:47:47 UTC 2022

Jeff,

I'm just looking at this now (apparently I missed it back in February).  I think that the issues (happily, but not surprisingly) correlate very well with those in the comparison doc.  In particular:

1. "TCP/!(80 & 443)" [1] -> On SYN return RST" and "UDP/all -> Drop"
    - considered in "User Experience" under "Communication Interruption".  The differences are:
      - the comparison doc doesn't really specify which ports/applications, but rather speaks more generically (because, again, it doesn't seek to define/specify).
      - the comparison doc proposes suggests that UDP is responded to with ICMP port unreachable for "quick response" rather than dropping.

2. "TCP/80"
    - considered in "User Experience" under "Communication Interception" / "Web Browser / HTTP"

3. "TCP/443"
    - considered in "User Experience" under "Communication Interception" / "Web Browser / HTTPS"

4. "Timestamp, IP, sport, dport":
    - considered in "Telemetry".

5. "SSL Certificate Note":
    - There is a whole discussion on this in the "User Experience" section under "Communication Interception" / "Web Browser / HTTPS".

Casey

[1] Should be "!(80 | 443)" :)