[NCAP-Discuss] .INTERNAL proposed as string to meet SSAC113 request….

Michael Monarrez Puckett monarrez4565 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 20:48:03 UTC 2024

Hello all,

Just want to send 3 FYIs that may be valuable to consider. Do with this
what you will. :)

1. SAC113 references RFC5890 in criterion #1 (A valid DNS label):
https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5890

2. Sec. 4.4 of RFC5890 mentions “visually similar characters” as a
“Security Consideration.” In certain fonts (Courier New & Times New Roman;
more-so the former), there’s little visual distinction between “internal”
and “interna1”—that is, in the characters {lowercase “L”} and {numeral
“one”}. This can be seen in the example image below: #6&7 and #15&16.

3. There’s a Public Comment from Jothan Frakes supporting the selection of
“INTERNAL” that is “Submitted personally as a maintainer of the PSL, and
not in my role as Co-Chair of the CPH Techops or Executive committee of the
RrSG”
https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-top-level-domain-string-for-private-use-24-01-2024/submissions/frakes-jothan-24-01-2024

Have fun,
Michael Puckett