[registrars] ICANN fees

Elana Broitman ebroitman at register.com
Tue Oct 14 14:40:56 UTC 2003

Dear all - as you may recall from our meeting in Marina del Rey and our conference call several weeks ago, ICANN accredited registrars must vote to accept payment of the variable accreditation fee for the fiscal year of July 1, 2003 to June 30, 2004 (Section 3.9.2 of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement).   Registrars accounting, in the aggregate, for payment of two-thirds of all registrar-level fees, must approve the fees in order for ICANN to collect them from registrars.  If we do not do so, ICANN may, under its contracts with the registries, collect them directly from the registries.

As per our discussions, many in the constituency believed that we should send a letter to ICANN setting out our concerns and goals when approving such fees.  Attached is a draft letter proposed by the Executive Committee.  As you can see, while it contains a set of concerns and deliverables, it ultimately provides for approval of the variable fee.  I, for one, believe that ICANN has recently proven its willingness and ability to effectively monitor agreements and respond to concerns (e.g., Site Finder).  This is the time to both demonstrate our support for ICANN and ensure that we remain a vital part of the organization by being the ones primarilly responsible for fees.

Please signal to ICANN your approval of the fee collection by sending in this letter or otherwise contacting Dan Halloran and Diane Schroeder at halloran at icann.org and schroeder at icann.org.

Regards,

Elana Broitman