[registrars] thoughts for conference today

Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Tue May 25 22:26:46 UTC 2004

Bhavin Turakhia wrote:

> > 2) Self Policing. We should be exploring ways to lessen the
> > administrative burden that ICANN has by assuming as many (or
> > all) of the enforcement issues as a group, so that ICANN
> > doesn't have to increase fees to do the same thing that we
> > can probably do for less money.
> > I think that an organization setup and funded by registrars
> > can take care of the issues for 25% of what it would cost for
> > ICANN to do the same. I would be willing to support such an
> > organization.
>
> I am quite certain of this. Infact I would very much be in favour of this
> too. However this is wishful thinking since it is not about to happen.

I don't agree. It is not impossible. And if ICANN claims they
need more money to handle registrar compliance why would they
not consider doing it this way other than other ulterior motives?

> Nevertheless I cannot for the life of me figure out how did ICANN spend
> $19000 on me last year or will spend $19000 on me this year. There is no way
> that I have had as much communication with them to make them spend that kind
> of money on me annually

They are not asking for the money based upon
what they have historically done. They are asking for the
money based on what they say they need to do going forward.

Larry Erlich