[registrars] knowing when to fold 'em

Rick Wesson wessorh at ar.com
Thu Oct 14 19:38:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Thomas Barrett - EnCirca wrote:

>  Rick,
>
> I assume all one needs to do is to stop using the batch pool by November 1.
> Or, is it before the last month of the quarter?
>
> What is missing from the new fees is how ICANN determines if a registrar is
> participating in the batch pool.

the wording is a bit vague but the gist of it is that a registrar asks for
forgiveness one month after they have stopped using the batch pool.
forgiveness [this part is vague] is aparently applied quarterly.

...from the budget
Registrars wishing to apply for relief from the fee will submit a letter
to ICANN prior to the end of each quarter. The letter will state that the
registrar:

   o has fewer than 350,000 names under management, and

   o has submitted fewer than 200 attempted "add" commands per successful,
     "net add" command during the preceding month. (Note: this statistic may be
     altered on a quarter-by-quarter basis as a result of consultation
     with the registrar and registries constituencies.)

welcome to the new ICANN.

-rick