[registrars] FW: RRAs

Rob Hall rob at momentous.com
Thu Jan 4 15:20:47 UTC 2007

The interesting thing is, they really can't turn anyone off.

The old agreement says we automatically agree to any new one after 30
days.  So in theory, we don't need to sign any new paper copy, and it
automatically becomes the new agreement.

So we are all assumed to have signed it after 30 days, and be bound by
any new, approved agreement.

I would think Verisign would have a hard time arguing that they turned
someone off, when there is the clause saying the new agreement is
automatically put into place and in force.  The Registrar could argue
that the new agreement was in place.

Of course, the catch 22 for Verisign, is that it has to be an ICANN
approved agreement. If they turn someone off for not signing, then they
have the problem of having to argue that the agreement is indeed not
approved.

I don't see how they could argue both sides (although lawyers have been
able to do so in the past <grin>).

I think we may go with just letting the old agreements clause on any new
agreement taking effect automatically after 30 days.  Sure saves us a
ton of paperwork and courier costs.  I can't see any reason to sign new
paper agreement when clauses like that already exist in our existing
agreements.

Rob.