[RSSAC Caucus] 48 HOUR LAST CALL : RSSAC002v4

John Heidemann johnh at isi.edu
Mon Feb 24 20:10:17 UTC 2020

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 10:45:37 +0000, Andrew McConachie wrote:

>> On Feb 21, 2020, at 23:52, Ray Bellis <ray at isc.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 21/02/2020 22:33, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> Just to be clear: are you saying that you can only produce figures
>>> for Section 3.5 (number of sources seen) for a subset of your nodes,
>>> or that you can only produce figures for a subset of your nodes for
>>> *all* the measurements? If the latter, that's going to mess up the
>>> evaluation of the measurements for the whole RSS. Even if it is just
>>> the former, that will make the measurements in Section 3.5 be not
>>> comparable to the other sections.
>>
>> Only for the unique sources measurement.
>

>Hi Ray,
>
>I changed section 6.6 to mark the ‘unique-sources’ metric as optional. This is reflected in the changelog as well.
>
>This change means that if the 'unique-sources' metric is produced by an RSO they must provide values for both 'num-sources-ipv4' and 'num-sources-ipv6-aggregate’. So produce values for both or produce values for neither.
>
>I would like to hear from other RSO’s if this approach is OK or if a different approach is needed.

Ray asked the important question: is this metric useful.

Wearing my "researcher" hat: yes, we have found number of unique-sources
in RSSAC data useful to indicate when a RSO is subject to an attack with
spoofed sources.

But I can understand the challenge in computing this metric.  It is by
far the most stressful (least compressible).

Rather than just declaring the metric optional, what about declaring the
precision of the answer variable?  Perhaps adding a
"fraction-of-traffic-for-sources" field, which for some RSOs would be 1
and others might be less than 1?  There is value in a num-sources even
if it's based on a 10% sample of traffic, or 10% of anycast sites, and
a sampled value might be easier for some RSOs to compute.

(And yes, I recognize that sampling could be non-uniform.)

   -John