[Rt4-whois] Role of Chair and Vice-Chair for Whois Review Team

Emily Taylor emily.taylor at etlaw.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 09:22:46 UTC 2010

Dear Lynn, Bill and Sharon,

Thanks for your work on the role of Chair and Vice-Chair.  I have a couple of queries/suggestions, which I hope we can pick up in today's call:

I agree that the Chair/Vice Chair should play a neutral role, and I see the purpose to ensure that voices are heard, themes summarised and a way through is formulated which takes into account all relevant, legitimate interests.  Reviewing the exchanges on this list, I think this group is going to have to work hard to listen and take account of others' views - if we can crack this, we should be OK!

My query is this:  given that we have all been put forward for this team on the basis of our experience, what do you think should happen when the Chair/Vice-Chair wants to put forward their own personal view.  Do they step out of the role for the time being?  Do they just not do that?

On 9 Nov 2010, at 20:32, <lynn at goodsecurityconsulting.com> <lynn at goodsecurityconsulting.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
> Sharon, Bill and I agreed at the last meeting to make a recommendation back to the group on the
> role of Chair and Vice-Chair.  Sending this for all to review prior to our conference call tomorrow.
>
> Below is our proposal, with acknowledgment that we adopted Susan's recommendation and language.
>
> The purpose of a Chair is the following:
>
> 1)      call meetings
>
> 2)      preside over group deliberations
>
> 3)      manage the process so that all participants have the opportunity to contribute
>
> 4)      Compile reports on the results of the team
>
> Chair's key functions are:
> To ensure an attendance list is made
> to be responsible for fulfilling the terms of reference in the time specified,
> to be responsible for working group discipline, focus and achievements,
> to prepare and chair face-to-face and on-line sessions,
> to ensure that the Group operates in an open and fair manner,
> to ensure that discussions are relevant (the Chair should propose a set of topics for e-mail subject headers),
> to intervene to stop off-topic communication,
> to summarize outcomes of each issue and
> to achieve interim and final objectives in conformance with the terms of reference.
> The Chair – and any Vice-Chair(s) – must play a neutral role by refraining from pushing a specific agenda, ensuring fair treatment for all legitimate views and guaranteeing objectivity in identifying areas of agreement.
>
> The purpose of the Vice-Chair is to assist the Chair and serve as acting Chair when the Chair is unavailable.

telephone: 01865 582 811   mobile: 07540 049 322
emily.taylor at etlaw.co.uk www.etlaw.co.uk