[Rt4-whois] Proposed Definition: "Consumer" [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Emily Taylor emily.taylor at etlaw.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 07:29:29 UTC 2011

Hi Peter

I had just signed off the call to public comment last night my time!  However, if it has not already been published, Alice, please would you amend according to the tracked changes document attached.  Peter - good comments, thank you.  I think we can take in your comment about provider by decapitalising it, so that it's not a defined term, but describes an action, ie providing a WHOIS service.

On 3 Mar 2011, at 22:40, Nettlefold, Peter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the slow reply, but I also think this is a good basis for our consultation.
>
> I have two brief comments:
>
> 1.       I think we need an ‘or’ in the WHOIS consumer category list, rather than an ‘and’ (otherwise it would be a very high bar indeed to be considered to be a consumer).  I’ve made that change below in capitals so it stands out.
>
> 2.       I’m not sure what is meant by a ‘provider’. I note that this isn’t a category we’ve used in the ‘Producers and Maintainers’ definition that we’ve agreed to go forward with. So, is there an example of a ‘provider’ that is not captured under the ‘maintainer’ definition? If so, do we need to revisit our ‘Producers and Maintainers’ definition?
>
> Also, and just for the future, I think it was Kathy (?) that noted on our call that one sleeper in this formulation is the word ‘legitimately’ (and the inherent reference to its converse: ‘illegitimate’). It will be interesting to see what the public comment returns on this, as this will be one (of the many) issues we will need to focus on in some detail going forward.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

telephone: 01865 582 811   mobile: 07540 049 322
emily.taylor at etlaw.co.uk www.etlaw.co.uk