[Rt4-whois] Questions on Recommendation 17

Emily Taylor emily at emilytaylor.eu
Wed Feb 8 18:41:32 UTC 2012

Forgive a personal opinion here, but I would imagine on the "portal" model
which I think we're proposing that the underlying data would be subject to
whatever rate limits are in place with the registrar of record.  You're
just going in to the Port 43, grabbing the data, and displaying it in an
easy to understand way.  Tons of sites already do this.  They may place
their own rate limits there - to prevent WHOIS abuse, and spammer
harvesting type activity.

I don't see this recommendation as requiring a wholesale rethink of current
policies.

On 8 February 2012 18:31, Seth M Reiss <seth.reiss at lex-ip.com> wrote:

> I am not sure why the AoC could not trump Consensus Policy if that is what
> ICANN intended when it signed the AoC.  I am not saying this is a desirable
> result on this issue – that the AoC intended to set aside the Whois
> Marketing Restricting Policy – I suspect most of us would want that policy
> retained; but the question of whether the AoC can be construed to require
> changes to policies, agreements and the like is probably a question
> implicating the interaction of contract and corporate law in this
> instance.  One cannot simply say that the AoC is subservient to all policy
> created to date.  We do not question that the AoC potentially implicates
> changes to the RAA, for example.  So why could it not also implicate
> changes to a consensus policy?  How we get there without running afoul of
> the ICANN articles and bylaws is probably a separate question.****
>
> ** **
>
> Seth  ****
>
> ** **

*
*

76 Temple Road, Oxford OX4 2EZ UK
t: +44 (0)1865 582 811 • m: +44 (0)7540 049 322
emily at emilytaylor.eu

*www.etlaw.co.uk*

Emily Taylor Consultancy Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales No. 7630471. VAT No. 114487713.