[Rt4-whois] Executive Summary [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed May 2 03:11:16 UTC 2012

Hi All,
Before I head off, I want to share what you would already know:
1) I like the word legitimate. I think it reflects what we have all
said, and agreed to on a recent call, that there privacy rights and
legitimate privacy needs.  I am sorry to see it go because I thought it
kept the balance when we deleted specific privacy rights bullet point.

2) But much more strongly, I oppose the deletion of the phrase "to
encourage proxy/privacy service providers to become accredited" from the
following sentence:
==> "ICANN could, for example, use a mix of incentives and graduated
sanctions to encourage proxy/privacy service providers to become
accredited, and to ensure that registrars do not knowingly accept
registrations from unaccredited providers."

I think Peter drafted the original statement (I hope I credited it
properly) and it captures well the consensus of the group -- what we all
agreed upon together. Delete it, and it becomes a mandate requirement
from the Review Team for accreditation, and we simply don't have
consensus on that (and I would have to write a minority statement).

(As I have shared -- after 10 years of work in the GNSO WHOIS arena --
We have done more to progress discussion on this issue than any group in
10 years. Make the standards voluntary at the start, and the ICANN
Community has an incentive to make the voluntary standards balanced and
fair, in hopes of the best practices becoming permanent. Make them
mandatory upfront, and groups know they are competing for something that
can be forced down other sides' throats and won't compromise. There's a
history here... )

3) I think it's too late for a new recommendation. It's a good bullet
point, but I think it will delay our closure process to make it a full
recommendation. It fits very well where it is...

4) Regarding the edits to the Full Report, will we all get a chance to
see them and review them?  I think it would be good....

Best and thanks,
Kathy

: