Time Zone Localizations

Garrett Wollman wollman at khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Jun 12 01:29:34 UTC 2004

<<On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:30:53 -0700, "Mark Davis" <mark.davis at jtcsv.com> said:

> Those pesky non-English speakers! But there is a point: simply
> because I don't speak Russian does mean that I would have no
> occasion to see or use time zones that happen to be in Russia.

It is, however, less likely that you would need to do so.  You *were*
writing about the need to prioritize translation efforts; it seems
clear to me that the translation of all zones into their "native"
locale should be given a higher priority than translating any zone
into a language in which it is rarely referenced.  Some zones may
never need to be translated.  Procedurally, I would suggest:

foreach zone {
	foreach locale used in country of zone {
		translate all symbols used in this zone
		translate identifier of zone if necessary
	}
}
; break point 1

foreach locale {
	foreach equivalence class of proleptically isomorphic zones {
		choose exemplar appropriate for this locale
		translate all symbols used in exemplar
		translate identifier of exemplar if necessary
	}
}
; break point 2

translate remaining symbols and identifiers

-GAWollman