[tz] Attempting to get speedier tz updates

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 10:02:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 09:15, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.oz.au> wrote:
> Attempting to contact everyone responsible, directly, would be a lot
> of work, just identifying the parties involved, so I thought it might
> be possible to take an easier route, and just ask the UN to do the
> contact work for us - that is, we write to the UN Secretary General,
> and ask that the message be redistributed to all member states - the
> message being a request that they ask whoever (whatever agency) is
> responsible for actually implementing time issues, to please inform us
> of any planned or actual changes - and perhaps, if they're able, any
> historical data they have.
>
> If people think this is a reasonable idea then I will implement it.

This sounds like a reasonable idea to me, and worth a try.

> Also, while I'm happy to draft (and circulate to the list before sending)
> the letter involved, it would probably be nice from the UN's viewpoint, if
> we could send in both English and French (and anything else?  I doubt we need
> to consider attempting all 6 official languages.)

English and French are the two sole working languages of the UN
Secretariat ( http://www.un.org/en/aboutun/languages.shtml ). Having
it in those two would probably be a good start.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>