[tz] Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Mon Feb 18 17:21:33 UTC 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 12:07, KP <khaiphan9x at gmail.com> wrote:

> there is no document saying that North Vietnam accepted Asia/Bangkok as a
> representative time zone

There does not need to be such a document, as we're not aiming to reflect
"acceptance" of anything.  All our data would assert is that Hanoi's clocks
have matched Bangkok's since 1970.  It could just as easily be said that
Bangkok's clocks have matched Hanoi's for the same period; the two
statements are equivalent.  It doesn't matter to us whether this is due to
cooperation, coercion, or coincidence.

The direction of the link in our data would simply be based on the relative
populations, and Bangkok is the larger city.

--
Tim Parenti