[tz] Estimate for a new tzdb release with Brazil rules.

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri May 17 18:42:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 20:55, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.oz.au> wrote:

>   | For something ~6 months out, perhaps waiting ~4–6 weeks to catch
> straggling
>   | changes is warranted,
>
> Even that's too long, and there is no real point. … I think something
> between a week and ten days is about right

My rationale for ~4 weeks or so was more in terms of proposed changes that
aren't well-sourced, or in cases where it's not obvious what the "Right
Thing" should be, as has been known to happen.  But, yes, for "properly
submitted" cases such as this one, something closer to a week or two from
when the "Right Thing" becomes known should certainly be sufficient.

we should never be waiting in the hope that someone else will change their
> rules before we are forced to release the pervious changes - never

In most cases, and certainly at this time of year, I would agree.  But
trying to reduce unnecessary release churn during the silly season has its
benefits, up to the point where it begins to be at odds with the relative
urgency of typical silly season changes.  I do agree that a somewhat more
regularized approach, though, would be of more help to downstream
maintainers.

--
Tim Parenti