[tz] Replacing the TZ Coordinator

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Sep 22 10:47:14 UTC 2021

Stephen Colebourne via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Is there consensus on the list that a change is required?

I agree with the suggestion from Robert Masters
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-September/030496.html

More broadly, it seems to me as an observer that (as well as the current
issue of squashing different zones together) there have been a couple of
other contentious decisions by the TZ maintainer in recent years that have
caused more upset than necessary:

  * Dublin winter time: was there enough benefit from being pedantically
    correct to justify the compatibility problems?

  * Kyiv: it's clear that the spelling change will need to be made at some
    point; it's less clear to me what are the benefits of delaying it, or
    why adding a compatibility Link is undesirable.

Another issue that keeps causing friction on the mailing list is the
timing of releases. I get the impression that a lot of people would be
happier with regular monthly or quarterly releases.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth: Variable 2 to 4, becoming west 3 to