[tz] Replacing the TZ Coordinator

D Nathan Cookson dorzak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:07:09 UTC 2021

An echo does not make a crowd.

I have lurked on this list for years.  I am replying from a personal email
address because my views are my own.

There has been an echo chamber of a relatively few people on the list
complaining about the changes.   This seems to be far from a consensus.
Instead it is a small group that keeps bouncing the same things back and
forth without being willing to compromise at all.  Either Paul does what
you demand or else off with his head!

Should they have had more discussion before they were applied? Probably

As I understand it, some of the historical data was combined because TZDB
was never intended to be a source to map location to timezone. This also
removed some names that some might find objectionable, and slimmed down the
size of the default data when compiled.

There are compile options to still include it.  Those compile options need
some work to meet the needs of everybody.   Instead of throwing a tantrum,
how about submitting patches for Paul to review to improve the compile
option?  If you spent half the effort doing that as you do trying to foment
a coup d'état, the compile option might be a solution already. That is what
I meant by compromise.