[tz] Mexico on track to abolish DST

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Oct 28 23:36:34 UTC 2022

On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 at 17:56, Tim Parenti <tim at timtimeonline.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, the draft law circulated in July lists the state of
> Chihuahua in the "Zona Pacifico", corresponding to 105°W or UTC-07.
> See Chapter 1, Article 3(II):
> http://gaceta.diputados.gob.mx/PDF/65/2022/jul/20220706-III.pdf#page=23
> So the image from the Energy Secretary on Twitter, putting the entirety of
> Chihuahua in "Zona Centro" (UTC-06), is at least a departure from that
> draft.
> https://twitter.com/rocionahle/status/1585682205417799688
> (Chapter 2 of the draft from July puts all of Chihuahua's border area into
> UTC-06 during US DST; that is, the status quo.)

Searching discussions around the confusion on Twitter, I also turned up
this document which, among other things, has a direct comparison of the
Federal Executive proposal (from July) with the text passed by the Chamber
of Deputies (in September):
https://infosen.senado.gob.mx/sgsp/gaceta/65/2/2022-10-25-1/assets/documentos/Dictamen_Usos_Horarios.pdf

Looks like Chihuahua was removed from Chapter 1, Article 3(II), meaning it
is no longer excepted from the default in Article 3(I) of being in "Zona
Centro" (UTC-06).  It also looks like Chapter 2, Article 5(II) which
originally specified Chihuahua's border region (containing Janos,
Ascensión, Juárez, Práxedis G. Guerrero, Guadalupe, Coyame del Sotol,
Ojinaga, and Mauel Benavides) was eliminated and subsequent sections
renumbered.

This would indeed support the claim that all of Chihuahua will be moving to
year-round UTC-06 and, because it is there currently (as UTC-07+1 DST),
will not change its clocks.  Contrary to the image from the Energy
Secretary, *no* US-style DST would be observed in any border regions of
Chihuahua, including Ciudad Juárez which will end up being one hour behind
El Paso in the summers.

The other major change in the Transitorios is that the law now takes effect
from Sunday 30 October 2022 instead of the originally proposed Tuesday 1
November.  I would presume effect from 02:00 local time as I believe this
is intended to effectuate the logical zone change in Chihuahua at the same
time the clock change would otherwise happen in most of the state.  In
Juárez and other border cities, this ends up overriding the
otherwise-planned US-style change on 6 November, and instead turns the
change in these regions into a no-op like the rest of Chihuahua.  So it
seems the WHOLE state of Chihuahua does indeed move to year-round -06 on 30
October by not changing its clocks.

>From what I can see in the text, border regions of Coahuila de Zaragoza,
Nuevo León, and Tamaulipas in "Zona Centro", as well as the entirety
of Baja California in "Zona Pacifico", will continue to observe US-style
DST, falling back on 6 November 2022.  (Sonora, bordering Arizona, already
didn't observe DST and thus had no need for a US-style border region.).
This is not quite what's pictured in the Energy Secretary's map, either.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 at 18:56, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> The new Mexican law was published today, here:
>
> https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5670045&fecha=28/10/2022
>
> I plan to see if I can understand what it says. Obviously not much notice.

It appears that all the changes I described above (pertaining to Chihuahua)
are all present in the published law as well, though there may be others
upon closer inspection.  So yes, this affects our predicted timestamps
throughout all of Chihuahua, including Ciudad Juárez, from Sunday 02:00 -06
(0800Z), a little over 32 hours from now.

--
Tim Parenti