[tz] leap_second.list not updated after latest IERS Bulletin C

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 8 20:58:40 UTC 2023

On 2023-12-08 11:58, Brooks Harris via tz wrote:
> anything from IERS must be public domain, isn't it? How
> is it not?

It’s published in France and French law does not recognize the US notion
of public domain. The French “domaine public” is more restrictive than
the US notion, and as I understand things if published in France the
file cannot be domaine public anyway; that can happen only 70 years
after publication.

The IERS version lacks a copyright notice, and it’s not clear who holds
the copyright or under what terms TZDB could legally reproduce the file.
The copyright holder might be the IERS, the Paris Observatory, Paris
Sciences et Lettres University, the Ministry of National Education, or
some other body. A while ago I asked for a proper copyright notice to be
added, to clarify rights and establish permissions, but this has not
gotten anywhere presumably because the people in charge of the IERS
version are busy and don’t think this is important.

Given the legal uncertainty it’s safer for TZDB to not copy the IERS
version.