[UA-discuss] UASG Working Group Positions Renewal Status

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Tue Jan 9 09:14:50 UTC 2024

Azhar Ibrahim, Huyan Le Khac:

On 2024-01-08 23:33, Azhar Ibrahim via UA-discuss wrote:

> Dear Anil,
>
> I am reaching out to seek clarification on the current status of the
> renewal process for UASG working group positions, specifically those
> of UA Ambassadors, UASG Working Group Chairs, and Vice Chairs.

Thank you for your interest in transparency and good governance of UASG.

I have a couple of questions about your message, however:

> As outlined in the UASG charter,…

Which charter are you referring to?  There is a charter for UASG
overall[1] and a second charter for UA Ambassadors[2], and a third for
Local Initiatives[2], and four for the four Working Groups[2]. I do not
see anything in the UASG Charter[1] which mention working groups, UA
ambassadors, or local initiatives. Maybe you mean the working group
charters?

> …these positions hold a one-calendar-year term, which officially
> concluded on December 31, 2023.…

What is the source of your information that the terms concluded on
December 31?

The chairs and vice chairs of the working groups were announced most
recently[3] in August 2023, and these appointments were for "FY24". So,
their terms should end at the end of FY24.

When does FY24 end for UASG?  I am not sure, but it seems[4] that
ICANN's fiscal year ends on June 30. Thus I guess these working group
chairs end their terms on June 30, 2024. But I agree with you that a
clarification would be helpful.

> …Recently, I came across a Facebook post by one of the UA Ambassadors
> who proudly shared a certificate for the year 2024. This has led to
> some confusion within the community.…

I am concerned about confusion within the community.  Can you describe
this community? In which part of the world was it?  Is there evidence of
the confusion, such as messages in public email list archives, which
other UASG people could review?

If you are concerned about UA Ambassador terms specifically, the UA
Ambassador Program Charter[2] says, "UA Ambassadors will be selected by
the UA Coordination Group and will hold the position for a renewable 12
months." I don't see anything there about a particular year end.

> …I am seeking clarification on whether new UA Ambassadors have already
> been appointed, and if all previous ambassadors and working group
> chairs and vice-chairs have been automatically renewed for the year
> 2024. If not then how are they leading the working group meetings and
> why their names are still on UASG.tech?…

Note that UA Ambassadors do not lead UASG Working Group meetings, the
Working Group chairs and vice-chairs do.

> …Understanding the importance of transparency and effective
> communication, could you please provide….

Transparency and effective communication is important for the work of
UASG. We could use some more of it in this group. I applaud your
advocacy of it.

And do you know what else is important for the work of UASG?
Participation in the working groups.

I would welcome a chance to hear contributions from both of you at
working group meetings.  I personally joined the Technology Working
Group meeting[5] at 15:00UTC yesterday. Will I see you both at the EAI
Working Group meeting[6] at 15:00 UTC today, 9 Jan 2024? Or the
Measurement WG meeting[7] at 15:00 UTC on 10 Jan 2024?  Or perhaps you
have comments to offer on the draft UA Curriculum[8]?

[1] Overall UASG charter <https://uasg.tech/uasg-charter/>
[2] Page with links to 6 charters, for UA Ambassadors, Local
Initiatives, Working Group charters <https://uasg.tech/working-groups/>
[3] "[UA-discuss] UASG Working Group Chairs and Vice Chairs"
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ua-discuss/2023-August/004371.html>
[4] <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/current-en>
[5] UA Technology WG meeting 2024-01-08
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ua-tech/2024-January/000745.html>
[6] UA EAI WG meeting 2024-01-09
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ua-eai/2024-January/002055.html>
[7] UA Measurement WG meeting 2024-01-10
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ua-measurement/2024-January/000868.html>
[8]  Draft UA Curriculum
<https://community.icann.org/display/TUA/Draft+UA+Curriculum>

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, (not a chair or a vice-chair of anything)

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada