[UA-Tech] "Champions of UA" RECOGNITION [was: Re: UASG Five Year Strategic Planning FY(2025 - 2029)]

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Tue Oct 24 07:49:01 UTC 2023

I love, love, love this idea of a "Champions of UA" Recognition!

UASG does not have the power to compel organisations to become
universally accepting. We cannot really affect the economic incentives
which will, I believe, determine what universal acceptance happens or
does not happen. But we certainly can celebrate those who are doing a
good job.

We can take as models various awards: the Nobel prizes[1] for benefit to
humanity, the Collier Trophy[2] for aeronautics and astronautics, the
Academy Awards[3] ("Oscars") for the film industry, etc.

I suspect that $10,000 spent on developing an award for best Universal
Acceptance accomplishment of the year, conferring it, and publicising
it, might well advance Universal Acceptance more than hiring developers
to evaluate and report on the universal acceptance flaws of a software
library.

Great idea, Jothan!

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt

[1] Nobel Prizes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize>
[2] Collier Trophy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collier_Trophy>
[3] Academy Awards <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards>

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada