[vip] FW: WHITE PAPER ON "DEFINITIONS" : YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK REQUESTED

Naela Sarras naela.sarras at icann.org
Fri Sep 9 17:53:32 UTC 2011

From: doc <raymond.doctor at gmail.com<mailto:raymond.doctor at gmail.com>>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:13:48 -0700
To: "vip at icann.org<mailto:vip at icann.org>" <vip at icann.org<mailto:vip at icann.org>>
Subject: WHITE PAPER ON "DEFINITIONS" : YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK REQUESTED

Dear colleagues,
                         I had drafted a white paper on the definitions and questionnaires put forward at the Singapore meet which I attended remotely.
The paper comprises three sections:
2.1 On Unicode
2.2. DNS
2.3. The main part of the paper dealing with the notion of variant-hood and which links variants with a script typology to arrive at a "unified theory" of variants.

The paper was reviewed by Mr Andrew Sullivan and Dr Nicholas Ostler and I am grateful to them for their replies and comments which were extremely useful and constructive. I have also tried to reply to their comments.

I am attaching the paper as well as the mails of Mr Andrew Sullivan and Dr Ostler and my replies to their comments. I have preferred to keep the original white paper as such and would like to hear from all colleagues, especially where the issue of variants (which affects us all) is concerned. Your feedback and comments and suggestions would be most helpful.

I would suggest the following reading order:

1. WHITE PAPER ON QUESTIONNAIRE ver. 3.1.pdf (application/pdf) 1692K
2. Nicholas Ostler - reply.pdf (application/pdf) 124K
3. Nicholas Oster - remail reply.pdf (application/pdf) 67K
4. Andrew Sullivan - reply.pdf (application/pdf) 177K
5. Andrew Sullivan - email reply.pdf (application/pdf) 72K

Thanking you

Best regards,

Raymond Doctor