[vip] FW: WHITE PAPER ON "DEFINITIONS" : YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK REQUESTED

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Sep 10 17:54:50 UTC 2011

At 19:53 09/09/2011, Naela Sarras wrote:
>From: doc <<mailto:raymond.doctor at gmail.com>raymond.doctor at gmail.com>
>Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:13:48 -0700
>To: "<mailto:vip at icann.org>vip at icann.org"
><<mailto:vip at icann.org>vip at icann.org>
>Subject: WHITE PAPER ON "DEFINITIONS" : YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK REQUESTED
>
>Dear colleagues,
>                          I had drafted a white paper on the
> definitions and questionnaires put forward at the Singapore meet
> which I attended remotely.
>The paper comprises three sections:
>2.1 On Unicode
>2.2. DNS
>2.3. The main part of the paper dealing with the notion of
>variant-hood and which links variants with a script typology to
>arrive at a "unified theory" of variants.

Dear Naela,

I am currently overloaded, but I will try to read all of the
documents sent by Raymond.

However, I wish we would first clearly and commonly understand where
we are and what we are currently doing before we try doing anything
else. The Internet is a communication process that aims at permitting
every human and machine to digitally relate together. As such, it is
the most complex system ever built by humans, and the first one that
has attained a universal nature.

1. VIP wants to create some new order in the use of this system in
replacing supposed bijective resolution/registration relations (one
name -> one IP) with surjective relations (several variant names ->
one IP). I say "supposed" because the DNS system is already
surjective (the same IP can support several hosts - HTTP.1.1.). This
means that the bijection is today "one name -> one IP + one name ->
one host". If we want to be complete, the communication of multicast
addressing is intensely injective (one name -> multiple hosts).

2. we also have an additional problem, which is IDNA. IDNA introduces
four major issues:

     - punycode does not transport the characteristics of a variance
(what makes the variant equivalent) into ASCII. The impact of this
has not been studied yet, to my knowledge, in terms of security and
of the certain identification of the destination.

     - punycode is not complete. This is due to the lack of a
definition at this time of the metadata injection method. This method
is necessary for supporting, for example, French majuscules, what may
or may not lead to a transliteration in uppercases.

     - IDNA is an incorrect architecture on the user side that has to
be changed. This is because it is defined as being supported at the
application level. On the client side, several applications with
different versions or parameters may, therefore, resolve different
"address+domain-name"s. On the host side one becomes dependent on the
distant application architecture and one does not know for sure
(otherwise, this is a VPN) what may happened on the User side.
Anyway, the the relation becomes: "one out of several names->client
punycode -> server-punycode -> IP + one out of several names -> host
-> application". Sometimes the dichotomy host/application will be
reduced but we have to live with it for now and be sure that it does
not introduce too many discrepancies or security risks.

     - IDNA is based upon Unicode. IDNA2008 has reduced the impact of
the use of Unicode and of its versioning. However, it has not
eliminated the noise and limitations and constraints introduced by
the use of a middle foreign system. "Foreign" in the sense that ISO
10646 was not designed to support IDNA. This means that the relation
now actually becomes: "one out of several names->unicode->client
punycode -> server-punycode->unicode -> IP + one out of several names
-> host -> application"

3. we have another important problem, which is IPv6. IPv6 provides
each Internet user with:

     - a way to be independently called.

     - more IIDs (second part of the IPv6 address, that for clarity I
name IDv6) than the whole existing Internet number of IP addresses.
It is, therefore, possible that every user scales his/her naming
scheme accordingly. There is no technical restriction to that; it is
just a matter of the database size on his/her PC. Plug and Play will
most probably result in such weird local name-spaces populated by
different SDOs with their own possible support of variants. This
should lead ICANN to publish variant support rules  in a way that
other SDOs can use and adapt-- and adopt a strategy that supports the
transition to such a brave new naming world.

4. all this is obviously subject to the information theory and to the
algorithmic information theory
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_information_theory>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_information_theory
that takes into account that domain-names are information to
processes and people. Let's look at the issue as a general issue for
the general DNS family of systems: DDDS.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Delegation_Discovery_System>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Delegation_Discovery_System.

The DDDS should be reversible, like the DNS. Do we want, and how do
we make, such systems to be transparently reversible to variants?
This means, if a variant is entered and results into an
IP+host+application, how do we make sure that the reversion (reverse
process operation) may not result in another variant? This calls for
some additional implicit, passive, referent or active metadata (i.e.
in the copper, in the header, in the context, or in the system
intelligent dynamic). Our chain architecturally becomes:

  "one out of several names->metadata->unicode->client punycode ->
server-punycode->unicode -> metadata -> IP + one out of several names
-> host -> application"

5. then, there are morphological, semantical, and pragmatical issues
to be considered by the linguists. (e.g. cf. Raymond). Not a small
task, but which has to be carried within the framework I describe.

6. then, we have the multilinguistic problem of homography, i.e.
finding a canonicalization algorithm to prevent the signs of a script
used by a language to be confusable with signs used by the script of
another language. We started from linguistic diversity and its
implications and we have to control what we decide against the
consequences on linguistic mutuality in the linguistic ecosystem.

Now, what do we have that will enables us to discuss this?
We have seven fundamental concepts that we can define "à la" Gregory Bateson:

- data: the differences necessary for a process.
- information: the differences that make a difference (Bateson).
- variants: the differences that make no difference.
- canonicalization: reducing the unnecessary differences.
- consistency: the differences do not conflict.
- protocol: what document data interchanges.
- languages: human communication protocols.

This means that every other notion that we may need (glossary [I
fully agree with Raymond here]) has to be referenced in relation to
new concepts that we first have to accept as pertinent and coherent
with the seven master concept above.

Why so? Because we need to ensure that we do not introduce any flaws
(logic, security, etc.) to the reasoning and consequences. This is
based upon RFC 1958 (we are to be ready for every possible "change" -
here, a new kind of variant) and RFC 3439 (in a very large system,
like the Internet, in which its naming is larger than the Internet
itself as it may extend to other technologies, the prevalent
principle is the principle of simplicity). Reasoning at the
conceptual level gives us a better chance to keep things simple and
coherent at the operational level.

jfc