[bc-gnso] for expedited review: BC comment on draft report of SSR Review Team

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Tue Apr 17 15:58:57 UTC 2012

ICANN has an open public comment on the draft report from the review team looking at Security, Stability and Resiliency of the DNS (SSR-RT).   The comment period and documents are described here<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/ssrt-draft-report-15mar12-en.htm>.

Marilyn Cade has drafted BC comments, with help from Jeff Brueggeman (who is on the SSR review team), and from Scott McCormick and Angie Graves.   Steve DelBianco edited this draft.  (attached)

Initial comments were due 16-April and reply comments are due 7-May.     We are requesting an expedited review so that our initial comments can be filed soon after the 16-April due date for initial comments.

If any BC member objects to the BC filing the attached draft comment, please REPLY ALL and indicate your objection and reason.   If any member objections are noted before 20-April, we will extend the review period.

If no objections are noted we will post the attached draft to ICANN on 21-April.

Thanks again to Marilyn Cade for taking the lead on this draft.

Note: When we submit these comments, we will once again point out that ICANN's new bifurcated comment process does not allow enough time for initial comments:

These are initial comments of the BC on this draft report, which we acknowledge
filing during the portion of comment period designated for reply comments.
While the BC supports a two-part comment period, we are finding that the
time for initial comments should be lengthened.

In addition, we believe that comment periods should be extended whenever
an ICANN public meeting occurs during the comment period.  Public meetings
require intense participation for several a days, leaving little time to
prepare public comments.  A simple solution would be to add 7 days to any
public comment period that includes dates of an ICANN public meeting.

Steve DelBianco
vice chair for policy coordination, BC