[gnso-rpm-wg] FOR REVIEW & DISCUSSION: Draft collated proposal for Sunrise-related data collection

Jon Nevett jon at donuts.email
Thu Aug 10 10:42:40 UTC 2017

I'm sorry George if my email wasn't sufficiently clear, but after debating mandatory sunrises for literally 8 years of my life I think that the time has come to call the debate in this round.  While I would support the original IRT proposal to make either sunrise or claims mandatory, I do not support simply throwing out the sunrise requirement for the future.  If we cut that kind of a hole in the RPM "tapestry" (old timers might appreciate the reference or not), then we will have to fill it somewhere else. That's just the reality.  I have not heard or seen any persuasive evidence or comments to change the 2012 requirements on sunrise, but I have seen from Kurt and others a strong rationale for keeping sunrise mandatory.  The point that I made about registries doing it anyway should go to the concerns raised about the harms of a sunrise process  -- it generally will happen anyway, but registries should have the flexibility to minimize such harms.  I would be happy if the debate moved on the Claims where we might have more alignment.

Best,

jon