[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items from 10 January Working Group Call

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Jan 18 16:16:24 UTC 2018

Hello Brian, Greg and all,

It is up to each Working Group to determine what are the most appropriate and effective methods and formats for conducting their work, so, for instance, while Google Docs are used by the Subsequent Procedures Working Group and the Cross Community Working Group on New gTLD Auction Proceeds, it is not used by the RDS Working Group or (to date) by this group except in the Sub Teams. Staff would like to note, however, that in our experience Google Docs can be difficult to manage in a group with a large active membership, where multiple people may wish to comment regularly. We have also experienced a number of problems with Google Docs in the Sub Teams, including member confusion about whether edits were inserted (as opposed to comments/suggestions) between versions before the group was able to discuss proposed changes, and some technical issues on the part of a few users. In addition, members in certain countries have periodic difficulties accessing Google tools (including Google Docs), though there are usually workarounds if needed.

You may be interested to know that the GNSO Review Working Group (the group developing recommendations to assist with and assess implementation of the GNSO review that was recently completed) has endorsed the current approach where each Working Group determines the best tools for its work.

For purposes of Brian’s question, staff would like to suggest that the easiest and quickest way forward at this stage – given that the Working Group has already worked on the single Draft URS Discussion Document for some time – is for Working Group members to continue to send their suggestions and comments to the mailing list. In doing so, we request that you be specific about the section/column/row in the table that you are commenting on. Staff will collect all comments sent to the list and revert to the group with a proposal on how to either incorporate or handle them. In this regard, we note that we are already creating a “parking lot” document that is intended to be the repository for new suggestions (rather than comments on existing ones), so some suggestions received may be appropriate for placing there.

We hope this is useful.

Cheers
Mary, Julie, Ariel and Berry